When my Home Essentials Kit arrived at my doorstep I thought the oils would last for ever. How could I possibly use up all 250 drops in a bottle. Fast forward three months and I'm totally obsessed and finding new and delightful ways to use the oils. Here's just a few ways I'm using doTerra's essential oils to improve the health and happiness of myself and my family.
It's no secret that I'm an emotional creature and at times have really struggled with anxiety and low moods. I now start my day applying Frankincense and Lavender to my wrists. This combo helps me to feel calm, grounded and centred. I'm also loving Balance blend for moments when I feel like my mood is a bit. or a pick me up to brighten my mood I always keep some Wild Orange handy. I could go on and on about the other blends I'm loving but Frankincense, Lavender and Wild Orange are my go to oils for maintaining a happy and balanced mood.
ENERGY / MOTIVATION / CONCENTRATION
Feeling sleepy diffuse some Peppermint oil or rub a drop in between your hands then inhale. Peppermint is great for concentration or if you don't like peppermint you could try the combo of Vetiver and Lime. When I'm working on my business my go to blends are either Motivate for obvious reasons or Passion to help with inspiration and to get my creativity flowing.
- Lemon water. Since ditching my caffeine addiction I now start my day with a glass of water with a drop of Lemon oil. It's just as good for you as fresh lemon but without the mess and waste not to mention the price tag. Lemon water rehydrates you, alkalises your system, aides digestion and helps rejuvenate your skin.
- Supercharged smoothies! If you think a blueberry, banana, coconut and almond milk smoothie sounds amazing wait until you try it with a couple of drops of Lemon or Wild Orange oil!
- I like to add a drop of Wild Orange or Peppermint to my hot cacao. Click here to read what I've been drinking instead of coffee.
Freya has the Lumo diffuser in her bedroom. It runs for 10 hours (5mins on/5mins off) and the light makes the perfect soft night light for your little ones. I add one drop of Lavender to the diffuser and 1 drop of diluted Lavender rubbed onto the soles of her feet. If she's a bit snuffly I'll add a drop of Easy Air to help her breath easily or On-guard to support her immune system.
FOR SORE MUSCLES AND TENSION
Each morning I put a drop of Peppermint oil on the base of my neck to help relieve tension. It helps wake me up and relieves some of the tension I carry in my neck and shoulders. For sore achy muscles I use the ice blue blend diluted in some fractionated coconut oil. You can also buy the Ice Blue Rub.
- I wasn't expecting it but I've fallen in love with the On-guard Tooth Paste. I love the cinnamon flavour and how my look and feel super clean without having been blasted with chemicals.
- I've just started using doTerra Shampoo and Conditioner. It's just as good if not better than an expensive salon brand I was using. It's If I want to give my scalp and hair an extra bit of love i'll add a couple of drops of Lavender oil when I do my shampoo.
- It's super easy to make your own yummy body scrubs and bath salt. For the body scrub I just use equal parts coconut oil and raw sugar then add about 10 drops of essential oils. To make my own bath salts I add about 3 drops of essential oils to one cup of epsom salts and add it to the bath. I'm loving Peace Blend for bath salts and Frankincense, Wild Orange & Elevation for the body scrub but you can make just about any combo that takes your fancy.
LAUNDRY & CLEANING PRODUCTS
- With a nearly one year old and a partner who is a contractor I'm constantly doing washing. Scented laundry powders make me feel sick. Instead I use Ecostore laundry powder and add couple of drops of lavender and tea tree or lemon oil. For delicious smelling laundry you simply add the oil at the same time as the laundry powder.
- Decluttering is my thing....cleaning is not. However, yesterday I was feeling inspired and whipped up some home made all purpose cleaner. The recipe I used is super easy, it's just a 750ml spray bottle of water with 1/2 cup white vinegar, 10 drops of Tea Tree + 10 drops of Lemon or other Citrus oil such as Wild Orange or Lime. I used this mix to clean the showers, floors, bathroom surfaces and glass and mirrors. To my delight everything came up sparkling but the best part was the absence of the smell of toxic cleaning products.
- I use the same all purpose cleaner to clean the toilets then add a couple of drops of Peppermint to the side of the bowl.
I hope some of these ideas have inspired you. The possibilities are endless and the best part is you can lower the toxicity levels in your home by replacing one product at a time.